Sunday 25 June 2017

Fitni Pulao



          Eid Mubarak to all!!! 

          Here comes my first post for Eid! Fitni Pulao

          Fitni Pulao is made every year on my birthday without fail & is served alongside Dahi ki chutney. It is so dear to me that my aunts also send it to me when they prepare it in their homes. I cannot trace back in this mess of two decades when it became so special to me or to my friends. A few days back when I hosted an Iftar party for my friend I was not so surprised when she said "ask aunty to prepare meat balls rice". It is then I realize that another friend had asked for the recipe way back in October I donno what took me so long to put it here while honestly I wanted it to be my first post when I first planned of the blog. But things never go the way we plan, do they? Ever? Mom had no time to prepare this elaborate meal and I had no patience to delay the idea of starting a blog so I readily settled with what was on hand and that was Liver fry.😆

         Getting back to Fitni Pulao though it is very easy to make I call it an elaborate meal 'coz this is goin to make sure you spend a lot of your time in making fitnis or the small round koftas but it's going to be worth it all. Fitni Pulao is one of those dishes which you would love to indulge in once in a while.



Ingredients:

To grind:

  1. Minced meat / Kheema - 400 gms
  2. Red chili powder - 2 tsp
  3. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  4. Salt - 2 tsp
  5. Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
  6. Coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch
  7. Mint leaves - 1/2 bunch
  8. Green chilies - 5 nos
  9. Oil - a few drops

Other:

  1. Rice - 1 kg
  2. Curd - 250 gms
  3. Onion -1 no (large)
  4. Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
  5. Coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch
  6. Mint leaves - 1/2 bunch
  7. Green chilies - 5 nos
  8. Rock salt - 1 tbsp
  9. Cinnamon stick - 3 to 4 nos (optional)
  10. Caraway seeds - 1/2 tsp (optional)
  11. Cardamom - 4 nos (optional)
  12. Cloves - 4 nos (optional)
  13. Oil - 2 tbsp + 3 tbsp

Method:


  • Wash and soak rice for 2 to 3 hours prior cooking. If using Basmati there's no need to soak, wash and use directly.
  • In a blender jar add all the ingredients under the sub-heading to grind.
                       

  • Blend it till a smooth paste

                  



  • Grease your palm with a little oil and make small 1/2 inch balls (fitni). Make sure they are of the right size meaning not too large as to look koftas or too small to look funny. And keep a point in mind that the fitni when cooked will reduce in size.
  • When all the fitnis are done heat 2 tbsp oil in a vessel.
  • In a bowl churn the curd.
  • Add the churned curd to oil followed by prepared fitnis. Don't stir right away as the fitnis will break apart.Cover it and leave for about five minutes. After five minutes give it a nice stir and cover again and let this cook on slow flame till the water is evaporated completely.
         


  • Meanwhile, in another big vessel heat 3 tbsp oil.
  • Add chopped onion and fry till golden.
  • Next, add ginger garlic paste, chopped coriander and mint leaves and slit green chilies.
  • Drain the water from rice and add rice to the vessel.
  • Add enough water to cook the rice. Water should be so much that the spoon flows freely while stirring.
  • Now add the rock salt, cinnamon stick, caraway seeds, cardamom and cloves.
  • When there is little water left add the prepared fitnis.
         


  • Cook on dum i.e. low flame for approx 5 to 10 mins.
  • Serve hot.
                                 


Also try Chana Vegetable BiryaniBoot pulaoBagaara khaanaMixed fried rice and Lobia chawal from My Mom's Kitchen.

Here's wishing you a blessed Eid and...

Happy Cooking!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like ur recipe :)

Susan said...

Yumm